Aloe Vera Food
Aloe vera is a desert plant. Owing to its succulent properties, it is a rich source of nutrients and essential minerals. Aloe plant is very much prevalent in hot and dry climates. Aloe juices and gels are available in the market to be used for various purposes. Aloe vera food is very popular among the world's population.
Aloe vera gel contains all the essential nutrition for a daily requirement. Therefore there are many companies that are involved in preparing aloe vera juice and edible gels. Aloe vera juices are available in two forms
- Whole leaf juice
- Inner leaf juice
Aloe Vera as a Food
Aloe vera is used an ingredient in a food recipe in many parts of the world. In deserts, during draught seasons, aloe vera provides all the necessary nutrients. Other succulent plants such as cacti are used as food too. This is the reason aloe vera is sometimes mistaken to be a cactus. Aloe vera juice too is used in many recipes. It is used as a stock and also for seasoning. Although aloe gel is available in the market is in stabilized form, it is advisable to use the gel straight from the plant.
How to Use Aloe Vera?
- Cut a leaf from the aloe plant.
- Cut the leaf that is near to the ground, this is the most mature one.
- Peel off the outer leaf and let the yellow sticky substance seep off. This is aloin; it is a naturally occurring latex. It should not be consumed by all.
- The translucent aloe gel is revealed.
- Cut the gel into cubes.
This gel can be used in recipes.
Aloe Vera Juice Recipe
Aloe vera gel
A pinch of turmeric
Any other juice concentrates (lychee, apple, grape etc.)
- Add the gel to a blender
- Add lime juice
- Add sugar
- Add the juice concentrate
- Blend the ingredients together.
Aloe Vera Gravy
2 Green chillies
- Cut the aloe vera gel into cubes.
- In a sauce pan, heat some oil.
- Add onions and green chillies.
- Saute for 1 minutes.
- Add pepper and salt.
- Add the aloe vera gel and pour 2 spoons of water.
- Keep the flame in simmer and heat until the gel becomes like peeled grapes.
- Add lime juice.
- Add coriander leaves for seasoning.
Indian Aloe Vera Curry
6 aloe vera leaves
1/2 tea spoon turmeric powder
A pinch of asafetida Powder
2 tea spoon fenugreek seeds
1 tea spoon red chilli Powder
1/2 tea spoon coriander powder
Salt to taste
2 tea spoon aniseed
1 teaspoon poppy seeds
1 tea spoon amchur (dried green mango powder)
2 table spoon mustard oil
10 gm almonds
10 gm raisins
- Wash the aloe vera leaves.
- Cut them into in 1 inch pieces.
- Boil them in water.
- In a bowl, heat oil.
- Smoke the oil and remove the smell (you can also use sun flower oil).
- Add asafetida, poppy seeds, fenugreek seeds and aniseed.
- After they crackle, add chilli turmeric, coriander and salt.
- Add amchur and fry the spices.
- Add a little water and let the spices cook for some time.
- Now add the boiled aloe vera and cook more.
- Add dry fruits and the dish is ready.
For more information read further: